The history of Highland Capital Management can be traced to approximately three decades ago. In 1990, two business partners, Mark Okada and James Dondero, entered into a business deal with Protective Life Insurance Corporation. They jointly started a business venture that specialized in fixed income markets. These entrepreneurs specialized in managing senior secured bank loans. After three years of its existence, the venture transitioned into Protective Asset Management Company, PAMCO. Mark and James owned 40 percent of the company while Protective Life owned the other 60 percent. In 1997, Mark and James purchased the 60 percent stake owned by Protective Life and formed Ranger Asset Management, L.P., an independent advisor registered with SEC. A year later, they renamed the company to its current name, Highland Capital Management. This Asset management giant is headquartered in Dallas, TX.
About Highland Capital Management (HCM)
James Dondero, who serves as the president and executive director, is the head of HCM. The first milestone of HCM came in 2000 when it launched its first commingle bank fund. Later that year, it established an investment platform named 40 Act. In 2004, the company acquired two floating rate funds from Columbia Asset Management as a plan for venturing into the mutual fund business. The company has since expanded its operations, opening offices in Singapore, Seoul, New York City, and Sao Paulo. It renders services to financial institutions, pension plans, foundations & endowments, and corporations. Today, Highland Capital Management is the largest collateralized loan obligation (CLO) manager globally, with over $15.4 billion worth of assets.
In 2016, The Highland Floating Rate Opportunities Fund, a program under Highland Capital Management Fund, was recognized as the best loan participation fund in the 5-year category at the Lipper Fund Awards. HCM has bagged three consecutive awards from the Lipper Fund Award.
The leadership of HCM believes in giving back to society through charity. The company has a dedicated charitable fund, which is administered by The Dallas Foundation, a public charity organization based in North Texas. Through this foundation, the company contributes over $3 million annually to philanthropic activities. HCM focuses on promoting health care and education as well as eradicating family violence and poverty. Notable beneficiaries of this fund include Uplift Education, the Center for Brain Health, and The American Heart Association.